4 MONTH SUMMER 2021 Volunteer/Intern Opportunity
Farm intern needed from June 1, 2021 thru October1, 2021 with possibility for a paid extension in the fall.
- Must be 18 years of age at the start of internship
- 4 month unpaid summer internship.
- Small Stipend of $200.00 per month is provided for incidentals, along with a weekly egg and meat bundle to prepare in the apartment for meals.
- Housing is provided in the form of a private studio apartment with wifi, kitchen, bath and laundry facilities.
- College Agriculture school student preferred, but not required. We are willing to work within means of a college student’s school schedule.
- Approximately 40 hrs. per week, working 5 days per week with two days off. Average hours would be Mon-Fri, 6 hours per day. Helping with farmers markets on Saturdays is a must. Hours will vary per farm needs with some weekend hours required including Sunday. Some days may require hours ranging from as early as 4 am. or as late as 9pm, but not to exceed a 10 hour work day. Work schedule is based on working five days a week and off two days. Saturdays are farmer’s market sales and/or farm store sales.
- Livestock experience is not required, but a good work ethic and attitude are.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and not afraid to get hands dirty. Ideal candidate works well with others, has a positive go-getter attitude with a clean cut appearance.
- Spanish speaking skills are a plus, but not required.
- A valid driver’s license is required. Must have their own transportation to and from the farm. Ability to drive a delivery van or farm equipment is a plus.
- Intern should expect to work in weather conditions including rain and summer heat.
- Mandatory factor in determining a candidate requires a two day checkout prior to acceptance.
Duties would include, but not limited to: Animal care, letting out chickens to feed, cleaning pens, and moving livestock to different pastures. Preparing orders, collecting, washing and packaging eggs. Making deliveries, farmers market sales, general farm work, making/bailing hay, and feeding/watering chores. Heavy lifting involved (lifting meat, feed buckets and moving meat coolers). Being able to do well interacting with customers at farmers markets is definitely an important part of the job. Duties vary day to day depending on the needs of the farm and season. For example, one day may be only business aspects including market sales, preparation of products for sales or deliveries of products. Other days will be more chore related including providing feed and water for livestock, making hay, cleaning pens or collecting eggs, etc. Over 50 percent of work time may be for marketing and sales, and packing orders.
Upon completion of the four month internship, we would hope that the applicant would acquire basic animal husbandry skills. They would also learn the fundamentals of how a small, pasture based livestock farm operates and how we add value to our meat and egg products by selling them directly to our customers. You will gain a large number of skills relating to running your own small, diversified farm in the future if that is your desire.
All applications are welcome. The deadline to apply is April 1, 2021,. Please send resume, completed internship application/questionnaire (see below), cover letter and 3 personal references by email to: email@example.com. If your qualifications meet our standards we will contact you to schedule a phone or on farm (preferred) interview.
Date of Birth:
Are you available for the internship beginning in June 2021?
- Why are you interested in Hasselmann Family Farm and this position?
- What previous experience are you bringing to this position and what practical skills would you hope to acquire?
- We raise animals for meat on the farm. What is your perspective on the role animals play on a small farm?
- Do you have any experience working in a farm environment?
- Do you have any allergies, food restrictions, or physical limitations that might affect your ability to do farm work?
- Please tell us something interesting about yourself (hobbies, pastimes, travels, etc.)